Thursday, October 2, 2008

Potty Training and Going Broke

Who knew potty training would result in going broke? Let me explain.

I told Tyler last week that he would get a quarter every time he pee peed on the big boy potty and he'd get 2 quarters if he went poo poo. He gets to put the quarters in a jar and when he has enough quarters, he can buy a new Thomas train at Target. This worked for our nephew Cooper, who also loves Thomas, so we thought we'd give it a try. Today we also started trying the Pull-Ups with the designs that fade when the Pull-Up is wet inside. They have Lightning McQueen designs, and Tyler also happens to love Lightning McQueen, even though he's only watched "Cars" two or three times.

At the beginning of the day today, he had 2 quarters in his jar, which he earned last week. He now has 12, all of which he earned after 5:00 pm, including 2 that he got after we'd put him to bed. The Pull-Ups seem to be working because he doesn't want the designs (checkered flags and trophies) to fade. Not to mention he gets so excited over the quarters. When he's done, he says, "Me did it! Me get a quarter!" He even went poo poo on the potty for the first time this evening.

We know we still have a lot of training to do, but I'm relieved that he's finally showing a real interest in it. Although, I'm thinking we might have to switch to nickels soon...

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

That's great Debbie! I am seriously thinking of using the "quarter" method when I get back from Florida. Yay for Tyler!!

Ashley said...

Jay did great for a few days. Then I got put on bed rest for a week and we had to slow it down. I am hoping to be more consistent starting when I get back from my San Fran trip. It is a long and stressful process, but so worth it in the end!